anti-postmodern sound bites - Seeking

« Home | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | I did it » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Samantha » | Sound Bites » 

Friday, July 15, 2005 

anti-postmodern sound bites

I am feeling the need to just write today. I have been doing tons of blog reading and I realize that although the theme blogs are amusing and clicking on links that other people like is good clean entertainment; it is not what is endearing about blogging. Personal reflection is so much more engaging. I am going to try to get into that groove for a little:

I finally began my Peace Corps application. My goal is to complete it by the end of August. Besides my desire to be in service in another country, I am beginning to feel a little antsy to experience something outside of my city, my daily grind, the usual faces and the usual schedule.

Since I became sober in November of 2000, I've spent the last couple years redefining everything that I have known. My primary focus has been self-improvement and "becoming a productive member of society". I've learned to live according to spiritual principles and then unlearned and rearranged the meaning of those principals. In the words of Parliament and the Funkadelics I've "Programmed, De-Programmed and Re-programmed" a thousand times over. This isn't to say I have not had perhaps the most enlightening, creative and joyful years of my life. I guess I am just feeling the need for some serious sensory adjustments. I crave the unfamiliar.

The past month or so I have had no clue if I still desire to work in film. I am not clear on if I feel like going back for a Grad degree is something I want or something I think I should do. I am not sure if I am selfless or doing what I think I should be doing to fill a self-centered desire. I am clueless about where I want to live or what I want to do. I guess all typical uncertainties for a recent graduate who just began work "in the real world."

I guess what is even more significant then all my current ambiguity is that which I am suddenly certain about. I know now that I want to be married soon. I know I'd like to have children when I return from the Peace Corps (if I am accepted). I know I should make some serious changes in my relationships. Mostly, that I want to be better at nurturing my fun, loving and healthy friendships and that I want to eliminate those that are not. I'd like to meet some new and different people. I don't want to gossip.
I am growing up.

It is funny that I am probably the happiest, most confident and most peaceful I have ever been. I still want more.

I have such great empathy with you here Em. My thoughts are with you and I hope your dreams and desires become real. x

...I can totally relate...I was forced to stop my original "blog" idea based on some business conduct policy I signed like eleven years ago (they hadn't even heard of blogging then!!) I have a secret and I'm leaving it here (their chances of reading it on your page are nil)...after working for this company for 14+ years, being sober for 12 of those....I'm making a leap, I'm going to leave them soon and work on my own...all those posts they made me take down will return, my passion for food will be reborn...all this means is, have a little faith, constantly question the status quo (especially self imposed)...and do the next right thing...

...oh yeah, follow your heart...it's something you recently have shared with us humans in a limited "whose-that-blogging" kinda way...and I think it's pure in it's intentions...

Hey Em,I enjoy reading you posts and please stop on by and take a look at my site.( i don't know how the link crap works but here is the site address.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/solaceplease/


Nick

Thanks for the introspection. As Henri Nouwen suggested, it's a matter of staying close to the (emptiness inside) without falling in...

I'm about twice your age and have half your time in recovery. What I can offer is that nothing changes, i.e., we find ourselves back in this spot over and over.

So don't be afraid to flip a coin. You won't do the same thing every time. So live it like a life decision, not a Life Decision.

Have a blast! Life's the dash in between 'em. As someone said, life happens while we're making other plans.

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

you should know this about me

  • I'm emilyahostutler
  • From Santa Rosa, California, United States
  • Some house hunting images
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates