Synchronicity Part 2 - Seeking

« Home | Postmodern Link Of The Day » | A PICTURE OF A PICTURE » | Mania » | Grandparents » | On the weather » | Abraham-Hicks » | So, what about the title? » | Synchronicity » | Reviewing the past for the benefit of the present » | Holocaust on your plate » 

Friday, March 11, 2005 

Synchronicity Part 2

The first thing is that I have to say is that I adore the banter and debate from the past few days-it was lighthearted and as Sarah said, very post-modern. Also, I have been having a tough time commenting on everyone's blogs recently. I read them all. I just feel at a weird loss for words. My short-term goal is to comment like a mad woman for the next few days. Okay, now for the meat and potatoes: Synchronicity has manifested itself again in a gigantic way, or unusual coincidence is just becoming the norm.

The Back Story:
I am twelve or thirteen, I think. I am young. I spend every afternoon walking home from the bus stop with my comrade Alex. He is brilliant and beyond his time. I am awkward, hormonal, self-conscious, narcissistic and just starting to discover drugs and alcohol. Regardless, I hang out with Alex constantly. It is spring time and summer break is approaching. Alex and I are experimenting with weed and booze, foreshadowing my future love affair with narcotics and depressants. For the most part though we are young and innocent-ish. Alex announces that his best friend, Ben, from Seattle (where his mom lives), is going to be visiting for the summer. Ben arrives early summer as expected. Ben becomes my first love ever. Ben has dreamy rock star appeal, sunken deep eyes and every quality a young potential deviant is looking for in a boy. We are three peas in a pod. Alex, Ben and I are inseparable. Ben ends up staying to live with his Dad. Ben is also beyond his years and knows more about the exciting world of D&A then Alex and I at this point. This is not obvious at all. I have no foresight. I am in love. The three of us pick up several others to join our merry band of pranksters. I actually have a small social group. Then comes the hit and the pit. One sunny Saturday, Ben shows up at my door with his father. Ben's dad found some weed that was hidden in Ben's room. Ben is going back to Seattle to live with his mom. Not next week, not tomorrow, right then and there. Ben is at my house to say goodbye.

The Middle Story:
Alex and I have never been the same. I took on a life of partying and Alex turned out as expected, overachieving and ambitious with humility. We both kept in touch with Ben but the calls became less frequent. I find out during a few conversations with Ben that he is pretty into the drug scene. I am too, but have not quite crossed the line. Ben and I go on to live parallel lives. Both of us kind of instinctually knowing about the other but not knowing the facts. Alex is subjected to taking me to detox and lending me a couple bucks here or there. After several years the calls with Ben have entirely stopped. Alex and I see each other every 6 months or so. I eventually become sober. "Back in the day" becomes a phrase that truly implies ten years ago instead of just something to throw out in conversation.

The Present:
I have not heard from Ben in almost five years. Alex and I barely see each other. As the result of an accidental call on Sunday evening (I thought I was calling Al's Cab Service), Alex and I end up making plans for this coming weekend. I am going to see him and his girlfriend for a few hours Saturday, "back in the hood". Weird but exciting.

Wednesday, a friend is over for dinner. I pull out some old photo albums and do the whole history of Emily spiel (ego). Opening the albums to pages with Ben's pictures I end up unearthing the whole tale to my guest.

Before bed I end up checking all the phone messages I have ignored over the evening. Guess who tracked me down? Ben's voice on the machine sends a goose over my grave. To put it better, I am complexly freaked out. I haven't even spoken about the guy to anyone in a few years. Ben has 8 months sober. He is putting the pieces of his life back together. He is living with his mom in Seattle. I have an overwhelming synchronicity to discuss on my blog.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

you should know this about me

  • I'm emilyahostutler
  • From Santa Rosa, California, United States
  • Some house hunting images
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates