So, what about the title? - Seeking

« Home | Synchronicity » | Reviewing the past for the benefit of the present » | Holocaust on your plate » | Me pretending to be me » 

Monday, February 21, 2005 

So, what about the title?

I thought it might make sense to actually address the inspiration behind the title of this blog and hear a little about how others define the concept.

post·mod·ern
Pronunciation: "pOs(t)-'mä-d&rn, ÷-'mä-d(&-)r&n
Function: adjective
: of, relating to, or being any of several movements (as in art, architecture, or literature) that are reactions against the philosophy and practices of modern movements and are typically marked by revival of traditional elements and techniques
- post·mod·ern·ism /-d&r-"ni-z&m/ noun
- post·mod·ern·ist /-nist/ adjective or noun

Postmodernism is many things to many people. I see myself as a living example of the term as a result of being a product of an American society that is essentially re-doing everything again and again.
This could apply to music, literature, film, general media, philosophical thought etc.
I quite simply am a living reaction to the world around me.
Although, really brilliant people debate the subject everyday using really complicated terms and examples, I still plan on attempting to address the subject on and off in my blogs.

I guess my favorite example of postmodernism currently is The Grey Album mixed by DJ Dangermouse. This album is known as a mash-up. It is essentially a album of Jay-Z's called The Black Album, mixed in a highly sophisticated way with The Beatles' White Album. It has recently been banned due to copyright infringement laws. Regardless, if there was ever a human example of this innovative musical "mash-up", it would myself. I have felt for a long time that musically I reside in the grey area. The grey area is a familiar world for those who grew up in the 80's when hip hop was emerging but touring with the Dead was still a requirement for those of us with hippy-dippy parents. Dangermouse's intricate sampling is a great metaphor for my personal artistic challenges. When filmmaking and writing I am constantly trying to figure out the best way to express the "grey area".

Another great example of postmodernity is these blogs themselves. They seem to be a reaction to the stream of consciousness writing form as well as a positive venue in which to process our rapidly booming technology.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts or favorite postmodern topics.

Also, I asked a friend for blog writing suggestions, I decided to include their response:
blog topics: that's tough because for me i usually don't write unless i am inspired or otherwise driven to write about something. or if i have a story or idea in mind that i am trying to put into words. maybe you could write about how the city looks in the aftermath of a storm on your way to work at dawn, a cold, grey haze reinforcing the already cold, artificial environment. everyone freezing and moving quickly with cold stoic fixed gazes as they trudge robot-like barely awake on a monday morning, on autopilot, to their jobs.. not smiling and not interested in anything or anyone but their destination. how different it is from, say a warm, spring afternoon where young couples are smiling pushing their babies in strollers, people are walking their dogs and joggers are everywhere, everyone is happy and instead of grey, everything is warm and colors are saturated..

none taken- I had never heard the pomo abbreviation-ugh-how humilitaing for those of us who have genuine interest in the theory! Thanks for your honesty!

still recovering from the dreaded "pomo" term...anyway postmodern means different things depending on whether we are talking about film, art, psych, or architecture. I usually like to trip on post-modernism in film. But if there was a more generic definition, I think it would be "a reaction to capitialism" or "a reaction to modernism (in art)" or "irony as a reaction to a fragmented world" I think my example of The Grey Album-is kind of on the right track. Hope this helps - The reason it is the postmodernist's guide to idol worship- is me being sarcastic about the fact that we (Americans) worship imagery and sound that has no sprirtual value like the aol instant message noise, or the "O" for Oprah, or the yellow support our troops stickers.- I hope to write about more positive forms of idol worship, like gospel music or the Buddha etc..I love you thoughts BTW!

Great topic!

As someone in an English grad program in the early 1990's when critical theory was still huge (the NYTimes declared it dead a few years ago), I feel like I spent a bit of time saturated in postmodernism. Yet I still am not sure what I think it is.

For some reason, the word "wry" always comes to mind. I see some clever people standing back in observation, making clever,ironic comments.

There's also a lack or real sentiment and instead a faux-emotion around things. In that regard it dovetails into pop culture's exhaultation of kitch, kids at raves sucking on pacifiers, Jeff Koons etc.

Things are never taken at face value- all must be deconstructed, turned inside out, undone.

It sounds like I hate it but I don't really. I think it's basically the way most of us think anymore. I like a TV show like The Wire in a embrace-the-working-class sort of way, cop-and-criminal-archetypes, undermining-racial-stereotypes sort of way. Not just because I like it. There always has to be a stance.

Postmodernism seems a bit of a stepchild in the name department...no? I mean, modernism was a tough act to follow; it had so many heavy-hitters in art and literature... whereas postmodernism seems in its very name to be the "after party." Can't wait to see what's next, however.

One good thing about postmodernism: we get to take things apart and nail them back together in strange ways. Mediterranean-Asian cuisine. Pakistani rap. Digital cubism. That sort of thing.

One bad thing: we seem to be completely out of original ideas, so we're using the bones of the dead as our Tinker Toys.

When this happened to the Romans, the Visigoths were knocking on the door.

Oh well. Am enjoying your blog, Em, despite my piss poor attitude.

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

you should know this about me

  • I'm emilyahostutler
  • From Santa Rosa, California, United States
  • Some house hunting images
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates