My "Fiance" - Seeking

« Home | Pomo Fashion Show » | Postmodern flight » | I was postmodern before I knew it » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Sound Bites » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | The forever unfolding story in order » | Sal » | anti-postmodern sound bites » | Postmodern Link of the Day » 

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 

My "Fiance"

Can anyone tell I am really losing some blog steam here? I am still an avid reader though, I adore all your blogs!
I was ready to can the whole blog thing when the most amazing thing happened, the kind of thing you want to tell the world about, or even just the 5 people that read your blog and know already.
I became engaged Saturday, August 20th!

The past week has been beyond exciting. I feel extremely spiritual in the sense that a relationship like the one I have and the beautiful marriage I have to look forward to were seemingly impossible in the dismal existence 4 years (and some change) ago.

Over 4 years ago I could not care for another human being. I did not even take the time to have solid relationships with my family. I'll spare everyone the dramatic details of my unsuccessful romantic relationships. I was very much a mooch, a leech, and incapable of relating to those in my life.

How far things have come...
Although I have continued to battle the resin left by my former life in the past few years, I am amazed by the change that has come about and the undeserved gifts I have been granted.

Sarah, Cecily and Julie all gave me the most wonderful hugs and of course praise of my newly adorned ring last week. I can not express how moments like that feel. I didn't once get the "Are you crazy? look"

So my thoughts on engagement, relationships and men boil down to this:
When you know, you know. (profound huh?)

For the past two years I have struggled to learn how to meet a romantic ideal. I have tried to do the right things and accept that people fall short and that I fall short in so many areas when it comes to matters of the heart. I have been as honest as possible. I have lied. I have sought advice from others. I have been scoffed at and scorned. I have been praised and admired. I have done everything right and everything wrong.

Since I began dating my now fiance, I have felt no struggle and there has been no trying. Things just come naturally. It feels as if we have been together for years and in the honeymoon phase all at once.
I recognize that we will see our fair share of trials and tribulations, but I look forward to the challenge. I know I am loved and I know my love is trusted and received. Things just feel beginningless, as if they always were. Oh and I feel beautiful in sweatpants and with a few extra pounds.

I was at a recovery group meeting last night and one of the members told me it seems like I have just done everything right in terms of recovery. Ugh. This scared the crap out of me as I knew it is not the case...She then amended what she said: "Well, I mean, not always, But you have done everything you needed to do." That made sense. Although often painful, especially with men and relationships, I absolutly did what I needed to do to get where I am. I would not have it any other way.

Congrats, I am very happy for you. I have been there twice and I hope the next time I just know.

Nick

nice one flower!! Congratulations.

Wow! Congrats! I'm heartened by your clear eyed perception of relationships, change and moving to the next level. Accept all my best hopes for you and your partner!

I can't believe I missed this entry- I checked the other day and just saw the new link. . . one must always scroll down!

I am, as you know, supremely happy for you. You two are an awesome couple and so deserving of each other. I've known you both for a long time and when you first got together it so totally made sense. You give me faith.

Love, Julie

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

you should know this about me

  • I'm emilyahostutler
  • From Santa Rosa, California, United States
  • Some house hunting images
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates