Chicken Liver, Passover and Praise 103.9 - Seeking

« Home | Reprimand the brain, a poem » | My Tarot » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Fragmentation » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Synchronicity Part 3 » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | What about Steely Dan? » | Postmodern Link of the Day and other things » | An Editor's Self-portait » 

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 

Chicken Liver, Passover and Praise 103.9

I have really found it difficult to post recently. This blog has been a nagging "to do list" item in the back no man's land of my mind. Which as you can see in my last post has been causing me difficulties anyway. However, I was inspired by this past Passover weekend.

Since I am one of those Jews that makes defining Judaism a major issue for college professors around the world, I'll save my description of the actual traditional Seder and why it isn't really a religious event if your not a religious Jew.

I will say this though:

This years gathering was one of the most memorable I've attended. Both of my parents choose this year to instruct me on the necessary food preparation, so that I could perform the Seder in the future.

Part of preparation included my dad and I grinding chicken livers in the old fashioned grinders that latch on top of a table and need to be hand cranked. I, of course, can not reveal more or that would give away the secret to the best chopped liver recipe ever. But, I have to say hand cranking chicken liver with my dad for hours was the perfect activity for me the Friday before Passover.

There is so much joy in just showing up for my family.

Later my mother showed me how to make haroset, a classic Passover treat. Also, the best of all time with it's own secret additions. Plus- staying up extra late and giggling.

The kicker is that my Dad turned me on to Praise 103.9, the new (all gospel, all the time) radio station in town. If you have followed my blog you know that I feel most grounded and spritual listening to gospel tunes.

So picture this:
Sudo-Jews cooking for our Seder meal, listening to Baptist style praise music and talking about all of our Seder meals past.

Fantastic.

The next day was full of family and guests, reading the Haggadah, and a bit of tasteful mockery.

I've left the weekend feeling extra connected to those I love, a far cry from the years spent missing Holidays for a trip down to the cop man.

Thank Sarah!!! Yeah mmmmm. Chop liver is good.

In many ways, our faiths our similar; they embrace liturgy, ritual, and sacred practice.

And I think your post eloquently bears witness to the blessing of these things; they build enduring bridges that create communities (family) that reaches across time and space...

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

you should know this about me

  • I'm emilyahostutler
  • From Santa Rosa, California, United States
  • Some house hunting images
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates