What about Steely Dan? - Seeking

« Home | Postmodern Link of the Day and other things » | An Editor's Self-portait » | Synchronicity Part 2 » | Postmodern Link Of The Day » | A PICTURE OF A PICTURE » | Mania » | Grandparents » | On the weather » | Abraham-Hicks » | So, what about the title? » 

Monday, March 21, 2005 

What about Steely Dan?

Steely Dan is perhaps my favorite band of all time. Not just because of their fantastic lyrics, but also because of their grossly underappreciated musical talent. The unfortunate habit that department stores, easy listening stations and smooth jazz cafes have of blasting Steely tunes with absolutely no vocals drives me crazy. It doesn't help that the only Steely song blaring from most classic rock stations is "Ricky don’t lose that number", my least favorite song.
Steely Dan is a great jazz and rock band. All of the musicians in the band are incredibly skilled. The layering involved in creating a brilliant song like "Sign in Stranger" is very complex. It is a lyrical masterpiece. The content relates to that which many of my blog readers can relate to, no?

Furthermore, Donald Fagan is a recovering addict, who despite the horrors of that world, got his shit together, sucked it up and continues to make high quality music. Unlike some more popular junkies I know. Finally how many bands do you know that need a dictionary?

I felt inclined to make this defense after standing outside a flower shop with a good friend who made an "ugh" remark at the Steely Dan song coming from the stores speakers.

Oh, and does everyone know what a Steely Dan is? wink wink

I remember Donald Fagen's solo record "The Night Fly" from the early 80s. At the time I thought it wasn't bad.

As for the rest of the Steely Dan catalog, I can't insult their musicianship (especially considering that today most bands sound like they're wearing oven mits). They definitely could play.

And I agree that "Ricky Don't Lose That Number" was painfully overplayed by Top 40 radio.

But I gotta say that (for me) jazz-rock fusion, as a genre, is like undergoing kidney surgery without anesthetic. Can't do it. Never could. Sorry.

This is pretty much what I expected but thanks for your comments and for celebrating our differences!!
FYI- Someone who linked to my blog from myspace (Steely fan) told me how much they enjoyed my rant! That was worth the whole post as far as I am concerned!!

Hey Mad Chef-love the definintions

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

when i first read that steely dan was emily's favorite band, i thought she was joking. because it's extremely popular on myspace to list ironic music (i.e. indie rock kids listing 70's hippie rock or 80's glam bands, when in reality they don't listen to that music and they're just joking.)

but emily's not an indie rock kid, and she wasn't joking. ok, so what then? since the only place i could recall hearing steely dan was "ricky don't lose that number" in my dad's old child-molestor van as a kid, and i can't think of anyone else besides my dad who might like them, i thought maybe there was something else i was missing.

well, i think she starts to explain it in this post. the radio stations/record industry picked the worst SD tune and now when we think of them we think of the worst band ever. but there's more to them then that awful ricky don't lose my number song.

i'd admit that at first i thought it was cute how emily liked the worst band ever, and i thought maybe she was just extremely musically sheltered or something. picture her telling me that steely dan is her favorite band, and me pinching her cheeks saying "awww.. you're so cute baby." again i can't think of more than one other person who even likes them, let alone lists them as perhaps their favorite band of all time.

but the fact that she starts to explain what it is about them that she likes so much i totally admire--and it makes me WANT to challenge my thoughts and think "hey, well i haven't heard that sign in stranger song.. or probably not any of their other songs, for that matter. why not give them another chance?"

because even if i still can't stand them, at least i gave them a chance. and i then i can say after i know what i'm missing (or not missing.) i will always be open minded in that way.

my favorite band is sleepytime trio. many people haven't heard of them, and to many people they sound like every other loud band. but to me there's so much more. i can get into every little detail to the way the snare sounds to the way they compose their postmodern lyrics (i.e. one songs lyrics are "time it takes to speak again twice so for lower so comes love.") to just the way they make me feel.

being able to relate to the band members (i.e. donald fagan's recovery) helps a lot with identifying and liking something. requeim for a dream is my favorite movie, and it's because i can identify with the struggle, chasing dreams that will never happen, being desperate, etc.

i can't say that i am going to rush out to tower and pick up a steely dan cd after this, but i respect that emily likes them and i might even download a few songs off of limewire (like the sign in stranger song.)

i think it's rad how open minded emily is about weird things about me that nobody gets (i.e. being vegetarian.) she could cut me down and question me all the time, but she doesn't. she accepts it and is very thoughtful about it. on the same token, there are things about her i don't quite understand (i.e. steely dan) but i think having these kind of differences is a good way to learn and grow and be influenced by other people.

props.

jay

Their ok, I always thought Steely Dan with their 30+ chord tunes was what Zappa would sound like if he suddenly when Easy Listening. A roomate from school swore to me for years that they are geniuses. "Rickey Dont Lose That Number?" Thats pretty lame, but on that they cannot be judged. Phishes last hit was "Heavy Things," and those guys are definitely musical Jedis.
Oh wow, A Clockwork Orange is on TV...

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

you should know this about me

  • I'm emilyahostutler
  • From Santa Rosa, California, United States
  • Some house hunting images
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates