Synchronicity Part 3 - Seeking

« Home | Postmodern Link of the Day » | What about Steely Dan? » | Postmodern Link of the Day and other things » | An Editor's Self-portait » | Synchronicity Part 2 » | Postmodern Link Of The Day » | A PICTURE OF A PICTURE » | Mania » | Grandparents » | On the weather » 

Friday, April 01, 2005 

Synchronicity Part 3

I recognize this post is way overdo. The responses to popstrology were so much fun. Jennsee is the only one that made it out with some dignity.

So, why Synchronicity Three? Why my persistence of this topic? Well, It has been a general theme unfolding since I began blogging two months ago, and it has slowly developed into a frame of mind for me that is extremely positive. I spend every week looking for those areas of my life that seem to indicate a level or two above the earthly realm and seem to more reflect the reality of the kind of energy, karma and spiritual flow of this universe.

I had two e-mails of appreciation arrive in my you've got mail box in the past two weeks.

One was from the one who guides me through my recovery process. For the first time ever I think someone used the word integrity to describe my character. She indicated she had just been thinking about me and then let me know what qualities she saw in me. So, thoughtful.

The second was from a friend thanking several people for being a part of his life. With another e-mail explaining specifically what I have done as a friend that was of value to him. Why don't we do this sort of thing more often?

I had my relationship with two people from across the country broaden and expand, also via e-mail.

The first person, A friend who is described at length several blogs ago. In brief he and I have lived similar lives of addiction over the past ten years with little contact. The last time we have seen each other was during 9th grade. Recently we re-connected via phone and E-mail after not talking for over five years or so. Today, both of us have put our lives back in order. We have connected frequently over the past few weeks in discussion about our life experience.

The second person, my closet girlfriend, whom I met in a halfway house in the darkest part of town four years ago, wrote me via e-mail after months of not having contact. She is another person of the recovery world who has struggled to maintain her ideal life. Being able to hear from her has revived my hope in surviving addiction despite all the odds.

I guess the real Synchronicity here is found in the mystery of human relationships. There is a thread beneath the surface the binds humans to one another. Does love flood in waves like bad luck? The beauty of those who have touched my life and the beauty of that process is on my mind. This week I would like to some how connect human relationships to postmodern theory. Idea's anyone?

Saw your blog on Pizzas and Cream and thought I would check it out.

I'm not sure I understand postmodernity, but I think it pretty much says reality is pretty much whatever people make of it (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). So if that is true, then perhaps in a postmodern view, the act of seeing human connections really does (in the words of Captain Picard) "make it so"?

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

So keep on keeping on, live and let live, keep coming back...don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. There are beautiful things in this world, always was and always will be. Now you get to see them, feel them, unhindered by any and all substances...pretty scary, huh? Only you question doing this with a group movement and not individually?? (I think?) Anti-postmodernism?

Hmmm.... Did I question that with a group movement? I'm not sure that I was. What I wanted to know was how do you think Post-Modernism effects human relationships. This could be a broad blanket example response or an individual and specific response and still not fall into the Anti-postmodernism catagory. I think What I was trying to say is, "hey look at these cool intimate relationships I have cooking here" Do you think that it is possible to somehow connect post-modernism to the way people interact with each other?" Meaning, do you think post-modernism has changed the way we view others and how we choose to relate to them?

"[T]he impression of fulfillment and of end, the muffled feeling that carries and animates our thought, and perhaps lulls it to sleep with the facility of its promises ... and makes us believe that something new
is about to begin, something that we glimpse only as a thin line of light low on the horizon - that feeling and impression are perhaps not ill founded." (Foucault 1973b: p. 384)

Self discovery is postmodern, the truth will set you free...relationships are the binding thread and having these relationships with humans in a world full of opposites, finding common ground that transcends physical limitations (economic, social, time, space) are not merely theory, they exist...but can we find them??

I think your picken up what I am putting down here- This is what I am interested in, can we find them? Well I think the mere fact that my connection to all these people was based in a different forum then a conversation-i.e. e-mail. Has post-modernism introduced us to other forms of interaction that we have just accepted as part of the deal? Are we saying okay I have other methods by which to express myself now, and these methods are just as valuable as a face to face discussion...or they are vaulable but in a different way?

-sorry, my last post made me want to rant, can't stop that "storm of thoughts" blowing through my head...Ok, now you can attack...

Are we on the same page? I love your rant thank you!

Postmodernisn has changed the way we see others but not for the better. Distance, irony, denial, self-referential insularity, bad faith... this is not what you're looking for.

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

you should know this about me

  • I'm emilyahostutler
  • From Santa Rosa, California, United States
  • Some house hunting images
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates