Week 2, Saving the world! - Seeking

« Home | Postmodernism is dead » | under construction » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | Postmodern Birthday » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | The Pomo Child » | Postmodern Link of the Day » | post nostalgia » | Postmodern League » | Postmodern Link of the Day » 

Monday, October 24, 2005 

Week 2, Saving the world!

Last week I sought to have a visit with my creative side:

The re-cap: I made a lot of movement on those wood blocks I told you guys about. As of now there are three small blocks with drawings from a brochure of Harper's Ferry during the civil war modge podged like crazy to them (Julie was triggered last week by the modge podge flash back and had this idea of doing a craft party like back in the 70's...Jul I would be so into that!)

Anyway, I think I am going to arrange the blocks vertically and hang them together by a wire. My fiance suggested we put them in our bathroom or some where in our new place when they are done. (I am moving in with the fiance btw)...well when they are done, I will post a picture.

So, in keeping with my new blog theme did this help improve myself or the world in anyway?

Well, I really enjoy creative projects. Now that I have been working full-time for half a year, I have felt pretty removed from my film school funk days. I miss story boarding, making props and taking electives like ceramics or photography. So, I think that working on a little project like this is was a great way to revive that part of myself again. Although, it was as simple as buying a paint brush from the dollar store and digging up that modge podge..it did the trick. Of course the part of me that loathes the idea of staying in a non-artsy fartsy job just craved getting out every time I thought about those blocks. So I guess, yes, this did help nurture my soul, so to speak! As for the world...

This week I will be seeking to do something positive for the world at large (so dramatic) by attempting to do some more work on my peace corps application.

This will bring me closer to being prepared for my application in Feburary (my fiance and I were told to wait to apply until then to get the timing right for when we would be prepared to leave for our "host country") Anyway, it is time to get back to that application so I can do my part in contributing to the improvement of this world we call home. I'll keep every one posted!!

Sarah-
Inspiration? hehe ((blushing)) thanks.

The Peace Corps is actually 2 years!! Can you believe it??

I have to add also that there are so many things that could happen before you say the "I'll miss yous" and the not-so-deserved "wow, that's impressives"

I do want to do this more then anything as of now and the past 6 months- but the truth of the matter is:

1. We may not get accepted.
2. We may get accepted but then deferred for a year for them to see if we survive year one of our marriage (seriously they do that sometimes)
3. At any minute I could choke and realize I can't hang and forget the whole thing.
4. Some unforseen thing happens that prevents us from living in another country for 2 years.

And.. There is the part of me (mostly, I hope) that wants genuinely to do service for others in another country.

I do have to admit though there is this other part that wants it on my resume, that wants to get out of Philly and the states like crazy, that needs to understand what it is like in other countrys, that is a cross between a perfectionist, martyer and an extremist and will go to crazy lengths to pacify my own neurotic, unresonable ideals!

Again- I think most of me wants to go for the right ideas--but I had to reveal this stuff too!

Hey Em, Good luck with all of that. I think the peace corps is awsome. I think you can hang, I have faith. It is a great feeling to help the people in this world.(even the short time I was in NOLA was an experience I will never forget). So for you to go for two years , I think it will be well worth it. I do hope ypu are well and keep me up to date.

Nick

Really good luck with the Peace Corps thing.

And thanks for introducing me to modge podge, something the UK is lacking in - like Hershey bars and twinkies. (though i have had a Hershey - goddamn it sucked). I have little idea what hodge podge is or does but it is the best product name ever and i want some.

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

you should know this about me

  • I'm emilyahostutler
  • From Santa Rosa, California, United States
  • Some house hunting images
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates